Inspiration

I want to start off by saying that inspiration comes when you least expect it. I don't believe you can search for it. It sort of just swoops in when you need it the most.

This mornings class ' Industry Analysis' sounded like an absolute joke to me. I did not want to come into class to listen to some industry guy tell me about how hard he worked from the bottom up in the hotel food chain and now is finally successful. Also, I did not want to get in my business attire and be bored to death. However, this morning, this was not the case at all.

A young gentlemen in his mid to late 20's (i'm assuming) spoke to us about his experience at Royal Roads University as well as where he ended up in the Industry. Michael went on to speak about the little time he spent at the absolute bottom of the hotel (bell man, front desk agent) and how much time he spent in the sales department.

Now with me being a young professional who has not yet truly been exposed to the hotel industry, but rather hospitality, I have only to base my experience on what others tell me, and this morning I was absolutely inspired by what Michael had to share.

He went from Sales Coordinator, to Junior Sales Rep and then a Sales Manager over a few short years. Now, granted he did this all within the small city of Victoria, BC and my plans are to go abroad, it game me a sort of reassurance that experience doesn't necessarily with hold me from opportunity more so, I'm just going to have to work hard towards it.

He went on to talk briefly about his current job duties and how he travels about a week a month all over Canada and the US and because he is within a chain (Marriott Hotels and Resorts) he is able to see the internal job postings available to him if he were to ever be interested in moving abroad.

I just became really excited and inspired about what the possibilities could mean for myself. I personally have always had an interest in marketing and sales and was told by my sales teacher in college that, it's where I'd fit in.

Michael also mentioned about volunteering for him, or another hotel in a specific department to get exposure. And I would LOVE to do this. So I'm really hoping come next semester I will be able to.

Sales seems like a place in the industry where you can set your own footing, be able to net work- something I love to do, and show your passion for your product and your property.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the importance of inspiration in your career path, as it's something you'll be apart of for the better part of your life. So if I could say anything, be proud of what you do and where you want to go because nobody ever achieved great things sitting behind a desk they didn't want to ever sit behind, or standing in front of a class they never wanted to teach and so on. I think passion for anything is absolutely most important because you will product a better outcome.

Food for thought friends!

With love,

Kaitlin

Comments

Popular Posts