Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end...


 Two thousand and twelve. What a year. I find it kind of funny that 365 days have passed and it seems as if it was just one long day strung together through moments that defined a new part of me and my life. 

I think a lot went well this year and a few things went awful and blew up in my face, but through everything, the bad and the good, it's been a year of my life that I will never forget. 

My professor from university just recently sent me an email on an article that he read in the Globe and Mail, it was basically just a few questions one should ask them self about the past year, to sort of get them rolling into a good state of mind to keep the passionate and driven juices flowing into twenty thirteen. 

So, I thought this would be a great place to sit down and go through the good, bad, ugly and exciting of twenty twelve and what good things I plan to work towards next year. Oh, I'll post the link to the article, and I didn't answer all the questions, just the ones I liked.

So what went well? I think the best thing I had going for me this year was the fact that I successfully graduated university. Other than that, I also picked up my whole life and moved to London, that was a huge accomplishment on my part, and I stuck through it even when things got a little rough.

What were my favourite moments of 2012?
In no perticular order:

The time I went to my uncles country home on Mayne Island, British Columbia. The beauty of the island, the isolation, it was absolutely stunning. 

Putting my hand in the Pacific ocean for the first time. I had lived on the west coast for months and one day as my flatmate and I were walking down the shore line, I told her I had never put my hand in the ocean, ofcourse, the entire moment was caught on camera.

Not making it past 3pm on St. Patrick's Day. I think that speaks for its self. St. Patrick's Day + Flip Cup = not a chance.

Feeding seals at fishermans wharf. Pretty cool to be that close to wild life. 

Hiking down to mystic beach and seeing all the beauty that the west coast has to offer.

When I hit a brick wall on the west coast, I maxed out my credit card and booked an impromptu visit back to Toronto - some of the best days of my life, and the best amount of money I've ever spent.

Returning to the west coast, for the last stretch of school and realizing that hard work does pay off.

May 25, 2012. The day I arrived in London. Mind Blown.

June 11, 2012 my first day at The Savoy.

Canada Day, teaching my swiss friend that being Canadian is kind of a big deal.

September 1, 2012  The day I moved into my first flat in London.. there's no place like home.

September 18/19 - The less than 48 hours I spent in France, drinking expensive champagne and realizing that the good life is within reach.

The end of October, when Michelle arrived and I finally fell inlove with London. 

When I spent two nights in Paris. J' adore.

The first time I strolled through Hyde Park in the middle of November. Absolutely stunning.

December 17, 2012 Celebrating my 21st birthday in London... Amazing time, with amazing people. 

This question is interesting... " What do I need to clean out or let go of now to be ready to start fresh in 2013"
I always want to write the first thing that comes to my mind when I read something like this. But I can't seem to string together any real answer. Maybe, I'll come back to this one.

What and who am I most grateful for right now?
My family and my close colleagues here in London. Having my family as my support system is the best thing in the world. No matter the time of day, the problem or circumstances, without fail they are there, and to me, they will be irreplaceable.

My colleagues that I've grown close with over the last few months, have become my London family. Absolutely blessed.

My favourite question... "If there was a theme for me in 2012, what was it?" This years theme was "Change"  I graduated university, moved from the west coast of Canada, to London, UK. Got a my first job in a proper hotel, changed my fitness habit and learned to like Gin (this is it's own is a huge change from vodka..) So much of my life has changed this year, all of which I would never go back and change for something else.

THE YEAR AHEAD

What are my goals for 2013?
To reach my fitness goal (130 lbs by the end of February)
To learn conversational french
To move up or even sideways in my career.

And ofcourse, the final question and my favourite... What will be the theme for the coming year? I am hoping that the theme for the upcoming year for me, will be "accomplishment". With the three previous goals listed, I'm really hoping that with the right plan and motivation and habit, that I will get to accomplish the short list of things I've set out to conquer for 2013.
I'm excited for what lies ahead, the amount of travel I have planned, the place I'm in and the possibilities I'm open to. I'm hopeful for what might happen. I hope that maybe this year I'll find someone to share part of my life with as well, it would be nice to leave the single life for a little while, and take a trip down relationship lane. However, that will come when it's supposed to, and I'm not in any rush really. So what is supposed to happen, will.

I'm going to continue on the "me" path. Work hard in the gym, work hard and enjoy everything else in between. Life is about taking and creating opportunities. Which I plan to do a lot of this year.

So thanks twenty twelve for giving me the confidence to live life seriously on my own, challenging myself, and pushing myself to all new limits that I never thought I would reach or exceed.

Comments

Popular Posts