September

This post is from a the first couple days here in Victoria. On a side note, I will probably be posting weekly, or basically whenever I feel like!


Change is always something that takes time to adapt to. It’s only been 4 days and I’m still getting the swing of things.

Sunday, September 4th marked my last full day in the province of Ontario. And ofcourse, I had a going away party. Sometime in the afternoon 25 of my closest friends and family all stopped through to say their goodbyes and heart felt good lucks as I embarked on my adventure to the west coast to get a one year degree for a Bachelor of Arts in International Hotel Management.

I suppose you’d ask why on earth I’d pick up my entire life and move it all the way to Victoria , BC … well, I really, and I mean honestly dislike school. I dislike classrooms and projects that are graded and have no substantial reward except a good GPA. Honestly, projects in the real world come with success and success and gratitude come from your boss, and when your boss is happy with you, your happy with yourself and you want to go to work every day and so forth… do you see the picture I’m painting? Anyways, back to the school thing…

This one year degree program seems like a promising commitment, seeing as at the end of it all I do a 12 week internship in any major hotel of my liking, pretty much anywhere... this will most likely take me to South East Asia… I’ll explain that another time.

Moving right along…
So as I woke up on Monday morning at 6:30am Toronto time with a massive hang over and one too many beers , I wondered up the stairs to greet my father with the same “ oh my god the world is spinning” look on his face. As we both broke out into laughter about the amount of crazy antics that happened the night before, it sunk it just a little that it would be a while before I’d be able to have such a great night with my family again.

On a lighter note, the plane ride was rather uncomfortable as I was sleep deprived and way hungover for my liking… I warn you never to do what I did because a 4 and a half hour flight is almost impossible with that much alcohol through your system.
Arriving in Victoria was almost a surreal moment. I couldn’t believe that after 6 months of telling everyone that I was headed there… I actually arrived. My new roommate Lauren was there to greet me and we spent the rest of the day touring around the small cute city of Victoria, BC.

Having been here for a couple of days now, I’m starting to understand the general direction of where things are, I’ve already biked to my school and checked out my campus- which looks like Hogwarts if you ask me – and it’s been a little difficult coming to realize that this is going to be a very different experience and a very different place than downtown Toronto.
Speaking of Toronto, there are a couple things I so very much miss about the city. One that I will have a hard time getting over, is the sky scrapers, I’ll forever miss the view from my bedroom window of all of the city.

However, It’s only been a couple of days and there are still many months left for me here and many people to meet.

Comments

Popular Posts