Summer


Summer has finally arrived here in London and it seems that it might stick around for more than the week that was promised by most Londoners. Sunshine in the sky, warm summer air, a buzz around the city of London, puts a lot into perspective. 

Yesterday I was at work conversing with some guests about my journey from Toronto to Victoria to London and the slight trials and tribulations, upsets and personality defining moments and it got me thinking about how much I've changed and how much of what I wanted has changed. 

I think it's always a bit comical when you reflect on your past ambitions, hopes and dreams and bring it full circle to here and now. Over a year ago with a much different plan, ambitions and dreams London was thought to be the defining moment of my life. And though it has pretty much lived up to that, it happened in a completely different way. 

I've discovered my passion about food and beverage, how that any other industry would probably bore me after a few months and that when I'm not really doing anything it's nice to know there isn't a massive pile of paperwork sitting on a desk somewhere that needs to completed. Though my job doesn't require much from me at the moment, I've put myself in a place to accept new responsibilities, in hope of the next step being middle management in food and beverage. 

The last six months has changed me in its own. I've learned that sharing your life with someone can bring some very beautiful moments, but it can also bring you moments of intense vulnerability that sometimes leave you slightly breathless, because it was never who you were, but everything has changed. I've come to memorize the habits and expressions of another and wake up every morning excited and ready for what may happen next. More than anything he's taught me that today, is the most important moment for us to be in. 

One of my good friends also mentioned to me the importance of not letting someone else define your experieance in a foregin place, and though my boyfriend is very much apart of London and has made my experience that much better, I consistently remind myself the importance of self discovery, girls night out and simply spending time with other people that can only make this experience better. Unfortunately I am here for a short time, not a long time, so I have to make the best of here and now and worry about what's next when the time fits. 

With this being said, a thousand thoughts run through my head about what could happen after London, if I can stay at all, where I may go, if I experience heartbreak or if I have the absolute excitement of taking the next step to travel together. For now, I don't know what I really want, and think that going through the next six or so months in London will better help define what may happen next. Also, my friend said it best, it takes a strong relationship to travel with a boyfriend and though I completely believe in what I have, I know that the more time we have together here and going forward, the better the decision that will be made for both myself and him. 

Half way through summer and I am traveling to a new city this week, Londonderry or Derry as it's sometimes referred to in Northern Ireland. I am so excited to discover a different part of the world and hope that the four days there will show me fields of green, stunning views and some history. 

At the end of August I am planning to move (hopefully somewhere cheaper) to save some money for after London and do a bit more traveling before I leave Europe. Life's a bit of a roller coaster, but I am excited for the twists and turns that lie ahead. Hopefully more ups than downs. 

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield. 


Photo: Off the top floor of my boyfriends house at 4:45am as the sun was rising one summer morning.


Comments

Popular Posts