One year later...


One year ago today I left Toronto for university on the west coast in Victoria, BC. Since then I left Victoria at the end of May and found myself here in London, UK and I can't believe I've been gone from Toronto for a year. Yes, I've had the pleasure of visiting there twice since then, it's not the same as when you live there.

In the last year so much has changed. In 6 days I will have completed my Bachelor of Arts degree in International Hotel Management, I work at a world renound hotel in London and everything else in between.

If you told me last September I would be working and living in London, I would almost believe you, but have been skeptical as the journey to get here was it's own struggle. Since being in London a lot of the guests ask me why I came here and to be honest, I think I've finally realized why and originally, it was never for me. Yes, London has always been a facination, an exciting idea and a dream come true... but part, if not eighty percent of the reason I flew across the Atlantic ocean, was all about the same guy I've mentioned in previous posts... you know, the guy who hurt my heart a little bit, and chose someone else over me. It's a seriously hard pill to swallow when you realize you changed your whole life for someone else... this is the first time I can actually say this allowed and believe you me, it gets my heart racing and makes me a little nervous because of how insanely stupid the idea was. Now regardless of the failed relationship, London has been amazing to me. I would never have changed my mind and I'm one hundred percent happy with the fact that I came out here and stayed even after that whole thing blew up in my face. 

With that being said,  I have been struggling with the whole reason I came here and finally realizing all of this, it feels good to bring it to the surface and say it allowed... or write it rather. Being twenty, living in London, a week shy of finishing my degree and living in one very cute flat with Nicole and another young girl from New Zealand -these are all great things, things people dream about; wish about and only hope they could do at my age, and here I am doing them. So as shitty as it is, to do something so drastic for someone else, the best has literally came from it.

Though being here has been it's own roller coaster ride, as I've mentioned before, being away from Toronto and my family, friends and support system has really been the biggest challenge for me. It's certainly easy to pick up the phone and hear their voices, but someone you just wish that they were right here with you on this crazy adventure that you currently call your life. Being away this long pushes your limits and truly defines the word "independence". In all honesty, I set out of Toronto a year ago today determined to stay five years out of the city and I don't know if I will be able to do it, but you have to ride out the waves and eventually you'll get back to shore. Now more than ever it is so important to me to get some traveling in and experiencing the world for all that I can and as in 5-6 years time I will probably have a much different mindset and things like my own family and a more permanent address will matter a lot more.

In the last year I think a lot of personal growth has happened and a lot of lessons have been learned and mistakes have been made. But that's what is supposed to happen. I think the point I'm trying to make is no matter where your life takes you, the decision you make, for yourself or because of someone else, you stick to them because it all happens for a reason and though you may not be able to define that reason immediately some point in your life I think it will all come full circle and really make sense. I really believe in the fact that you should have no regrets and though some of the decisions I've made or things I've said have never been the best to say or do at that time, there is no sense in regretting it as you can't change it... ever. 

The last year of my life has been an absolute whirlwind and I couldn't have done it without the love and support from my classmates, colleagues, friends and family.

Looking forward to another year of adventure...

Now on to finishing my final paper for university, wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts