Life, as I know it.

Disclaimer: These opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of those at The American Bar or The Savoy, A Fairmont Managed Hotel.

London has been a dream of mine for quite some time. It's a city that is full of life with places to explore and people to meet. They say, if you get tired of London, you get tired of life... and well-being here for the short time I have been, I completely understand this saying.

On May 25, 2012 I arrived in the UK for the first time. This would be the first international destination I was going to go to... but not to visit, to live for two years. Some called me crazy, some said I was ambitious, personally I'm just driven. With no serious job offer but just two interviews I had one real shot of getting a job that would forever change my career. 

The Savoy, is a Fairmont Managed Hotel and opened for the first time in 1889. For being opened for over 100 years, the hotel has so much history and nostalgia about it. In December of 2007, the Savoy closed its doors to the public for the first time to undergo a restoration of the property. After almost three years and £220 million, the Savoy re-opened to the public on October 10, 2010. With so much history tastefully restored in the property, guests sometimes just come to visit to see what changes have been made since the renovation. 

"The American Bar is the oldest surviving cocktail bar in England. It opened in 1893 in the original riverside part of the hotel, and moved to this spot in 1904. Its devotion to the transatlantic style has attracted generations of stellar visitors from Hollywood to mix with the grand, gracious and notorious of London. New heights of fame were reached in the 1920s and 30s under its most famous bartender, the irrepressible Harry Craddock, who made the White Lady cocktail famous and compiled The Savoy Cocktail Book, which remains in print to this day." (Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, 2012)

The American Bar is actually where I spend my every day. Though it is technically not an "internship" as I signed on for employment with the Savoy, as I thought a job would be much better than an internship for me. With this being said, there is nothing about my job that I dislike and I really enjoy working there every single day. 

Being new to the American Bar and having to learn all the famous cocktails and how they are made and the spirits that they use can be quite the challenge... This isn't exactly you're typical bar where people just order gin and tonics, or vodka sodas... it's a bar where people specifically come to taste the famous creations by our legendary bar tenders. Most recently in 2011, The American Bar was voted "Best Hotel Bar in The World" in a competition that took place in Las Vegas, USA. To wake up every day and go to work in a place with such a high reputation, can be quite daunting. Personally, I want to learn all that I can. Food and beverage is such a passion of mine, and it's something I would like to do later on in my life as I have future ambitions to perhaps work for a global spirit company and sell their products. So this type of learning I get every day is very hands on a beneficial to my career, both presently and in the future. 

Usually my shift starts at 11am where I get to work to set up the floor for service as we open our doors at 11:30am Monday- Saturday and 12:00pm on Sunday. Between 11:30 and 3:30/4:00pm, the bar is steady with people coming for a drink before or after lunch. The bar usually gets full later in the afternoon for the pre-theater/ dinner rush, and will stay full depending on what events are happening in or around the hotel. Every day at 6:30pm we have a live pianist that plays music from many different eras, it really adds to the atmosphere of the American Bar.
 As you can see in the photo above, we carry a wide variety of spirits. Something that is very important for all the cocktails created in the bar. 
The decor of the bar is really elegant and reflects the many years of history that the American Bar has to offer. People like Frank Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe have been into this bar, so there is definitely a sense of presence that you get when you're there. 

All my colleagues are super helpful and encouraging which really adds to the entire experience that is working at the American Bar. And though I spend about 40 hours of my week there, when I am off work I really like to enjoy everything you can about London. I haven't done any of the major attractions yet as I am waiting for the crowds to disperse from the Olympics. So probably sometime in the fall I will go for a ride on the London Eye, something I have wanted to do for a long time... I really like Ferris wheels and even though that one moves at an insanely slow rate.. it's the view from the top that you will never forget.
With the Olympics happening in a few short weeks, the hotel will be very busy. The whole city is on high alert for security and is trying to prepare it's self as much as possible. I don't think anyone actually knows what to expect until it happens.  
Overall, the second I stepped off that plane just over 1 month ago, something hit me.. and not literally, even though some would expect that with my lengthy accident prone history, but seriously, something about this city really makes me feel at home. Though none of my immediate family or close friends are here, it just feels like it's a place I belong. I can tell you now when my visa runs out in April of 2014, it's going to be the hardest time because already I am making a life for myself here that I don't want to give up, not for a while.  The Savoy has been a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to work for a fantastic company or wants to stay in a stunning hotel. And the American Bar, well... it's definitely a place to quench your thirst and enjoy the atmosphere that once was a place that Hollywood's finest would enjoy.

If you've ever had the slightest bit of incline to work, travel or live in London, do it. Do not hesitate, do not have a backup plan, just go, I promise you, you will not regret it There is truly something in the city for everyone and you are bound to find what you're looking for. 

Finally, the city girl is back in a city that has truly taken her breath away.





 

Comments

Popular Posts